Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What to eat on a low-FODMAP diet: Lunch


Hi people!  You look cute today.  I have no idea who’s reading this blog, but my food posts are getting a lotta hits, so here are some more ideas about what to eat on a low-FODMAP diet.  [For those of you who don’t know wtf FODMAPs are, see previous posts].  Some people get confused about what to eat when they cut out gluten AND dairy AND soy AND blah blah blah.  So, WHAT TO EAT, Installment Number Two: LUNCH.   

1. Sandwiches with Udi bread!  Udi Bread is by far the best gluten-free bread.  It tastes like bread, feels like bread, looks like bread.  I am a big fan of turkey sandwiches with spinach and tomatoes and mustard.  But you can put any low-FODMAP foods on your sandwiches.  For the full list of foods that won’t hurt you: http://laurabama.blogspot.com/2013/01/comprehensive-list-of-highlow-fodmap.html

2. Peanut butter!  I eat my weight in peanut butter and I have no problems with it, although I hear that for some people it’s a trigger.  So you’ll have to see if it works for you.  I put peanut butter on bread, and in smoothies, but you can also put it on gluten-free crackers. 

3. I eat lots of chicken tacos.  Or any kind of tacos, really, as long as they don’t have beans and cheese.  You can pump them full of tomatoes, rice, potatoes, of whatever else from that list.

4.  Salad, of course, with anything from the list. 

5.  We all need some junk food with lunch sometimes, so I recommend low-fat potato chips, in small quantities.  High-fat foods are IBS triggers, but I can usually have a few chips without too much problem.

6. Speaking of my need to have junk food with lunch, I’m usually ok with a little (but only a little) dairy-free dark chocolate. 

Things I do NOT eat anymore for lunch:

1. Hummus.  I. Love. Hummus.  But it kills my stomach.  So sad.

2. No bread or gluten-y crackers.  At all!  And I feel SO much better. 

3. Obviously no dairy, but if you’re reading this, you probably already cut that out. 

4. No onions or garlic.  They are some of the worst for me!  And probably for you.

One more li’l thing – I have a totally subjective theory that I have more stomach pain when I eat more preservatives, so I try to buy organic foods when I can, and eat whole foods whenever possible.  As always, if you have other suggestions, let me know!   I heart you.

[if you’re still wondering what I’m talking about, here’s my explanation of the low-FODMAP diet: http://laurabama.blogspot.com/2013/01/low-fodmaps-diet-that-changed-my-ibs.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm new to FODMAP and I just found your blog through Twitter! :) I wanted to comment about snacks. Instead of Potato chips, I've been eating Plantain chips. I find them to be much tastier and better with only 3 ingredients. They are also less greasy. :)

    For lunch, I usually eat leftovers. I've been doing a very "Paleo" diet recently, lots of meat and vegetables.

    Enjoying your blog! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah - excellent - I'm going to try plantain chips this week! That's a great idea. And less greasy things are always easier on my stomach. Do you have a hard time with red meat, or is it ok for you? Thanks for the comment, Destinie!

    ReplyDelete